
Read about Charles Harrison here. Written by Paul A.C. Richards.
Obituary MR. C. HARRISON. Died 15th January 1945
Mr. Charles H. Harrison, whose death occurred in Launceston yesterday, was born at Campbell Town. He was a great grandson of Hr. Robert Harrison, who, with his family, migrated from England to Tasmania in 1823 to take up land grants at Woodbury, from the Imperial Government, and the eldest son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Harrison.
Mr. Harrison’s family moved to Launceston at a later date. He was educated at Mrs. Weetman’s Preparatory School and at the Launceston Church Grammar School under Rev. W. H. Savigny.
In 1881, Mr. Harrison won from scratch the first race on-wheels at the school sports which was a quarter mile tricycle race; and the silver ring is still in the possession of the family.
In the middle ‘eighties Mr. Harrison joined the staff of the Launceston and Western Railways as a junior clerk in the manager’s office and remained a railway man throughout his career.
The line at that time was broad gauge and ran as far as Deloraine. In 1887, Mr. Harrison transferred to country stations to gain practical experience and returned to Launceston in 1893. He took charge of the general manager’s Launceston office.
In January, 1885, he was first licensed as a trout angler and took an active interest in angling, including stocking waters with sporting fish. In 1894 he made a first trip to the Great Lake with the late Mr. C. J. L. Smith, of Deloraine, travelling via Jackeys Marsh, being joined there by the late Mr. W. Warner With 51lb. loads on their backs, they climbed the 3000ft. of the Western Tiers. The first trout-fry were placed in Pine Lake, four miles north of the Great Lake, where the party camped for several days.
In 1895, accompanied by a party of enthusiasts, the Chudleigh Lakes were visited and first stocked with English trout, later yielding excellent sport. In 1898, Mr. Harrison first visited the south end of the Great Lake, via Tunbridge, and killed a trout of 17lb. which now hangs in the Launceston Club.
In 1898, Mr. Harrison drew up a petition, signed by leading anglers, which resulted in the first importation of rainbow trout.
Fishery Association
A few months later, recognising the urgent need for some organised interest appertaining to the inland fisheries, the late Mr. R. J. Irvine called a meeting at which was formed the Northern Fisheries Association to which Mr. Harrison was elected secretary, a position which he held for 26 years, until transferred to Hobart. Fishery matters were put in order, branches were formed in country districts.
Licence fees increased from £54 a year to over £600. A hatchery was established at Waverley by the patriotic action of Mr. Robert Hogarth. Rainbow trout reared at Waverley were successfully introduced into Lake Leake, Lake Sorell and the Great Lake. Recognising the importance of salmon fishing and the failure of the Atlantic salmon to return from the sea, the association experimented with a non-seagoing variety known as “Sebago,” the ova of which was obtained from North America, and placed fry in several lakes, and although caught up to 4lb., the variety did not acclimatise.
In the early years of the present century. Mr. Harrison was a member of the Northern Tourist Association, being chairman of the Lakes Committee. In 1911, recognising the potentialities of opening up the Lake Country for tourists and anglers, Mr. Harrison wrote a letter to the press advocating construction of a road. This was taken up and the tourist secretary addressed all kindred bodies which resulted in a conference of forty being held. Mr. Harrison was voted to the chair.
The outcome was the acceptance by the then Government of the proposal, but the recommendation was turned down in Parliament, but passed the second year on the casting vote of the late Mr. R. J. Sadler. The Great War delayed construction, but the road eventually reached the hill overlooking the Great Lake. Its final junctioning with the Bothwell road, giving a through lake route, was not completed until 1933, 22 years after the proposal was first made. In about 1916 Mr. Harrison was appointed District Traffic Manager for Railways and in 1920, Traffic Manager for the State, a position he held until retiring in 1934, under the age limit, having served 50 years.
An eight day chiming clock was presented to him by fellow workers. After retiring, Mr. Harrison took an active part in matters pertaining to fisheries and also to war funds, being associated with the Comforts Fund and hon. treasurer to the “Will to Win” week and “Navy Week.” Mr. Harrison is survived by two sisters, Misses Mabel and Ella (Launceston), and three brothers, Messrs. Percy (Longford), William and E. W. Harrison. Another brother; Mr. Raymond Harrison, was killed in the last war.
Mr. Harrison will be interred at Campbell Town this afternoon. The cortege leaves the residence, Union St, at 2 o’clock.
